Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Growing Up" doesn't end at 18

   I'm not sure where to begin this morning.  I have had a couple hours to myself to really think about my life, past, present, and future.  When I think about my past it's not a pretty picture.  My childhood was pretty rough, but I don't have any anger or even negative feelings over the first 17 years of my life.  Sometimes people just don't have the best circumstances.  The anger and shame starts to seep in when I think about the decisions I have made since becoming an adult.  The bad examples I displayed in front of my 1 year old.  The crappy wife I was to my husband.  The alcohol I consumed in my body so often because I thought it was fun.  The kind of people I let myself get caught up in.  Why did I make such shitty decisions?  After everything I had been through with my own parents, why would I put myself on that kind of path to destruction?  I really don't know.  I don't think I will ever have an answer as to why I was constantly running away from my family to hang out with people who never cared one bit about me as a friend.  I know that God has forgiven me. I think it is always hardest for us to forgive ourselves.  So, I will say it, moving away from what I picture still as our home is the best possible thing we could have ever done.
   Let's skip ahead to the present.  I have such a beautiful life, even though there are times when I don't always recognize it.  I get so caught up in the little frustrations of my day.  My home is never completely clean, no matter how hard I try to get it that way.  My kids eat a lot of junk food, even when I attempt to force veggies down them.  My husband and I never, ever get alone time.  I think these are the things that most moms deal with from day to day.  I feel like I grow a little every day.  My children amaze me in the most unexpected ways.  My husband proves his love for me through so many small gestures.  I am growing in my Faith.  I may not be perfect, but I am sure not who I used to be, and that is an accomplishment all in itself.
    For our future, I want to be thankful ALL of the time, not just when things are going good in that moment.  I will pray more and complain less.  I will appreciate every moment I have with my children and husband, even when we are in the midst of total chaos.  And I hope that one day we will be able to make it back home to be close to our family and true friends.
Enjoy this day.

1 comment:

  1. It is just cool that I was pondering the same thing as you this morning. I love how you close this. It helps me to stop ruminating in all the poor decisions that I too have made...all the time I have wasted...all the missed opportunities for laughter and enjoyment and learning and loving and instead cherish the breath of now and where all of it culminates is now. "That's why I'm telling you that her many sins have been forgiven. Her great love proves that. But whoever receives little forgiveness loves very little." Luke 7:47 and God works all things for our good(Romans 8:28), even when we were living in random chaos. "Before I was afflicted I went astray,but now I obey your word. It was good for me to be afflicted
    so that I might learn your decrees." Psalm 119:67,71.
    This is amazing btw, you can click and see the Hebrew meanings to all the blue words. http://www.biblestudytools.com/kjv/psalms/119.html
    "I will appreciate every moment I have with my children and husband, even we are in the midst of total chaos." Yes, we will live thankful lives even though this earth is leaning to death and chaos all around us. WE are daughters of the King of the WORLD and we have authority over the chaos in the Name of Jesus. What an adventure this life is...to simply grow into our robe of righteousness in Christ and then to impart life and healing and truth wherever our foot treads all while just BEing in Christ.
    Love you sister and the unity He has given us in our friendship...which He confirmed just Today, in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete